"A word on the spot is worth a cartload of recollections"
James Maggs, Southwold diarist 1797-1890

Monday 13 February 2012

Hooray for the NHS

Nick and I are due to fly to Northern Norway in a fortnight for 3 weeks of ice climbing, first on Senja island and later around the Lavangen area, not far from Tromso. Yesterday we drove down to the Saltdean chalk cliffs for training. Here's Nick making shapes. Not long after taking this photo I pulled a lump of chalk off the cliff with my axe. The lump landed on my knee. After I got over the initial pain I found I could stand, so thought nothing of it - until a couple of hours later by which time the knee was swollen and wouldn't support my weight. After a painful night I hopped into the Accident & Emergency at Whittington Hospital this morning where I was xray'd and told I have no fractures or torn ligaments. Nick is mighty relieved that the trip is still on. He hasn't taken out any insurance yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment